22.6.08

Spartacus: mini-review

OK, I've got lots of work still to do this weekend, but something's better than nothing, right? Here's my review from Netflix:

Spartacus is NOT your typical Kubrick in terms of lasting takeaway message -- the nihilism and despair that linger in Clockwork Orange, 2001, and Dr. Strangelove just don't exist here. It is, however, typical Kubrick insofar as it is masterful. There is not an actor in this film that I did not admire more after watching Spartacus -- they all give amazing performances, which is pretty easy, I suppose, if you have such amazing material. This would be worth a spot in your queue just to watch the famous "I am Spartacus!" scene, but it's really oh so much more. It's got layers and layers here, with certain parts of the characters' lives (I'm thinking especially Tony Curtis here) obfuscated because of the Censor Board. But that only makes it better -- you have to actually be thinking and caring about these characters to understand why they do what they do. And it's well worth the effort.

No comments: