15.8.09

Yes! I wasn't hallucinating this

You know how you have vague memories, vague enough that you can't remember identifying information such that your friends don't think you're crazy, but vivid enough that you're absolutely sure your memory is real? I get that a lot with things I watched as a kid. For about a dozen years I was haunted by a memory of a terrifying movie (at least to my 4 year old self) with flashing lights and a cartoon kid who was lost and trying to get home but didn't get help from the things that were giving him grammar lessons when he asked questions. Then finally I realized what it was, thanks to a high school friend unwittingly recommending to me the original source material: The Phantom Tollbooth. Then my sister and I both swore we saw a version of Alice in Wonderland that no one had ever heard of, until I was finally able to find it on eBay.

Tonight I got to fill in another puzzle piece of my childhood movie experience. I was browsing allposters.com, which I do relatively frequently, actually. And found this, the first evidence that the strange Russian Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn mix with no subtitles that we accidentally rented from the neighborhood video store (it was in the wrong box, so we were never 100% positive that it was Huck Finn, but my dad was pretty sure) actually exists.


That boy looks familiar, so I'm pretty sure it's the one. Mystery (partially) solved. Still not sure if it's this version or not, but I'm guessing it is.

No comments: