17.4.08

Play Misty For Me


Clint Eastwood is my mother's favorite actor, and so, in honor of the approaching holiday in her honor, I watched Clint's directorial debut. (OK, well, I didn't really watch it for that reason, but I did watch it in large part because I grew up with my mother gushing over the man.) I must confess horror movies don't generally do it for me. With the exception of Hitchcock and his disciples, I can never really get into them. I don't particularly like gore -- it either grosses me out, or just as often looks way too fake for me to do anything other than stare at it with an amateur director/critic's eye and just be unimpressed. And the whole idea of being scared or "thrilled" rarely works differently -- the only movie that has come even close to freaking me out since I was 16 and started watching R rated movies was The Shining. Everything else just seems too contrived for me. It's so formulaic that there's no horror involved -- you know exactly who's going to die or get hurt and when, and that just takes all the fun out of it. It's not like romcom, where the formula supports the genre; horror is supposed to surprise and startle you, but if it's so obviously working off something as predictable as sewing patter, well, I'm not sold.

So maybe I'm not the best person to review this piece with a favorable eye, but while I thought the movie was decent, my main comment is that Play Misty For Me has become a period piece -- everything about it is steeped in the early 70s, which is fun to watch but even more distracting to the idea of a thriller. Even the suspense seems dated: a quaint idea based on the premise that someone would meet a woman, slowly realize she is suicidal and has psychotic episodes, and then proceed to do nothing about it until all sorts of havoc has been wreaked. However, if you can get over the things that date this movie, it's quite enjoyable: the actors are all young and passionate (I mean that in all senses of the word) and the plot makes for a simple vehicle for them to chew scenery and revel in 1970s California, which is shot quite beautifully (red woods, ocean, and cliffs abound). The direction is sometimes predictable (lots of shots that seem omniscient and then you realize they are point of view shots, for example), but it is worthy enough to foreshadow the much better work that Clint directed later, from Unforgiven to Mystic River to Million Dollar Baby.

2 comments:

FleetUSA said...

I just discovered that you had "befriended" me on NF. After reading your great reviews, I saved you as a "fave" too. You should also sign up for the NF community blog (www.community.netflix.com). I looked for you there but didn't find you. I'll spend more time on your blog later. fleetusa

FleetUSA said...

If you like Hitchcock you should see "The Trouble with Harry" (1955). A mystery-comedy. A quaint New England village setting probably not far from Boston.