26.7.09

Summer break is over

Since I start work again in a week, I'm going to write off the last two months as summer vacation from my blog (and, frankly, facebook, and most other forms of communication). And now I'm back. With this non-media posting. Oh well -- I guess it takes a while to get back in the swing of things:

Someone is suing Denny's to force them to label the sodium contents of their food. While I'm generally all for information, I think a lawsuit is the wrong way to get it. Over at The Atlantic website, Marion Nestle says that this is about consumer choice -- you can add salt at the table to low-sodium food, but you get no choice if the food is high sodium. Umm... no. Consumer choice is deciding whether to go to Denny's at all. If you can't tell that fast food is salty without being given sodium mg information, you've got health problems a lawsuit isn't going to fix. So go to Denny's, or not. Ask them to publish ingredient information on the threat of not buying their food otherwise. But don't sue, man. It's just going aggravate the lives of my fellow law clerks.

No comments: