9.12.08

The Windy City is mighty purty

OK, this isn't really movie or television related, but to me it is entertaining. I don't know what it is about Illinois, but I don't get angry at corruption there, just amused. I find the Daleys, Al Capone & the rest of the Chicago Outfit, "vote early vote often," and even Governor Blagojevich strangely loveable. Maybe it's because even in corruption, Chicago & Illinois are misfits (how bad do you have to be to be ostracized by the Five Families??). Maybe it's because I watch too many old gangster movies. Maybe it's because the corruption there is always so ridiculously outrageous (What makes a governor think he can get away with a "corruption crime spree?" And let's not even talk about Chicago city aldermen, or 3 others of the last 7 governors.) Or maybe it's just that I love Chicago so much that even its state can do no wrong. So even while on one level I'm very sad about Governor Blagojevich, and apalled by what he did, it doesn't make me love Illinois any less.

No comments: