24.4.07

Is there plagarism in art?


In academic writing, you have to make sure you credit your sources, even when you're doing it with permission. So I'm always confused when I see a remake that doesn't flag the fact that it's not actually an original.

Case in point? No Reservations, with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Aaron Eckhart, is coming out this summer, but nowhere on their website or trailer is the fact that it is simply a remake of the excellent German film Bella Martha. From the trailer, the new movie looks like it's going to be practically a scene-by-scene remake, too: just different actors and a different language.

I hope that at least they don't screw it up -- the original was delicate, precise, and nuanced (like Martha, in a way). I can see the Americanization pushing too hard and being too corny, too sugary, too-- well, overseasoned. Sorry, I couldn't resist using food metaphors.

No comments: